huge undersea world swallowed by the sea in 6500BC
- Divers have found traces of ancient land swallowed by waves 8500 years ago
- Doggerland once stretched from Scotland to Denmark
- Rivers seen underwater by seismic scans
- Britain was not an island – and area under North Sea was roamed by mammoths and other giant animals
- Described as the ‘real heartland’ of Europe
- Had population of tens of thousands – but devastated by sea level rises
Britain’s Atlantis’ – a hidden underwater world swallowed by the North Sea – has been discovered by divers working with science teams from the University of St Andrews.
Doggerland, a huge area of dry land that stretched from Scotland to Denmark was slowly submerged by water between 18,000 BC and 5,500 BC.
Divers from oil companies have found remains of a ‘drowned world’ with a population of tens of thousands – which might once have been the ‘real heartland’ of Europe.
A team of climatologists, archaeologists and geophysicists has now mapped the area using new data from oil companies – and revealed the full extent of a ‘lost land’ once roamed by mammoths.
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook