Ralphie: “These ‘gentlemen’, and I use the term loosely here!, have GOT to be stopped! They think they are above the law.”
The nuclear power industry is suing Germany because it’s phasing out its unpopular nuclear power stations. Tobacco giant Philip Morris is suing Australia for billions of dollars in lost profits because the government took action to reduce teenage smoking. And pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly is suing Canada for $500 million, just because Canada has laws to keep essential drugs affordable.
Worst of all, these cases are happening in secret international courts to which only corporations have access.
Now, details are leaking of two global trade pacts that would massively expand the power of corporations to sue our governments. Countries in the EU to the US and from Australia to Canada are negotiating right now – and some could be just days from signing up.
Thousands of corporate lobbyists are helping to write these secret pacts — but the public isn’t allowed to see them. Global governments know that the public won’t like these corporate power grabs, so they’re hoping to keep them under the radar until it’s too late to stop them. But if we can raise our voices now, we can expose these corporate charters and kill the deals forever.
- Monsanto’s about to celebrate their biggest coup ever, (foodforlife.thorntonsrestaurant.com)
- Expose the TTIP and TPP for what they are (philipcarrgomm.wordpress.com)
- Decision to cut on-shore subsidies proves wind is more economical than nuclear power (awelshmansblog.wordpress.com)
- Second new nuclear plant given go-ahead for as Government sells off Eurostar stake (telegraph.co.uk)
- This Transatlantic Trade Deal is a Full-Frontal Assault on Democracy (usahitman.com)
- Canada wants relaxation in India’s nuclear liabilities rules (thehindu.com)
- Japanese Senator: “The Path That Japan Is Taking Is The Recreation Of A Fascist State” (washingtonsblog.com)
- Canada Busted Covering Up Spikes In Fukushima Radiation (washingtonsblog.com)